Today in my mile walk home, I experienced every weather condition known to man. You would think not possible in 15 minutes, but you would be shocked.
As we started out, it was sunny but very dark and thundering to the south (not rumbling... serious thunder) 1 block later, HUGE rain drops for like 25 ft. Then nothing. Then huge drops again. Then nothing again.... for about 4 blocks. Then we entered the stage of wind and rain. Always pleasant. This QUICKLY morphed into DRIVING downpour with wind such that the back of my pants and sweatshirt was soaked. Then the hail started. At this point, it like a monsoon with hail. The hail last about a block. One more block and it had totally stopped raining. Another half block it was almost sunny again, which would have made the last block walk almost pleasant if not for the fact that the back of my pants were SOAKED and heavy.
So during this whole escapade I did have my umbrella with me. Because I'm a skilled umbrella-wiedler, mine survived, but I did see one person walking with one that had prongs sticking out with no covering (they looked ridiculous). So I was left wondering, why aren't umbrellas made better? It's EXTREMELY rare for it to be raining hard enough to warrant the use of an umbrella but to not have any wind. Wind tends to go with storms. So umbrellas by definition should be made strong enough to sustain normal wind. possibly not the monsoon that I walked through today. But in general, any wind and they typically are ruined. It seems like this should be an engineering problem that could be figured out.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment