Tuesday, March 13, 2007

DC

So I'm still in DC and busy/crazy/nervous... but in my touristing today as I walked past the Vietnam memorial, I was struck with many thoughts. And interrupting that thoughtfulness was this comment:
"Wow it would have sucked to be the last person to have died there"
As opposed to the first, second or third?
Really?

So in the hot tub there was one woman in there with me so there was the awkward, obligatory conversation... and the second thing out of her mouth, after, are you here for business or pleasure, Are you here with your husband?
How to reply to that.... Why would you look at me and think MARRIED? So I just said no (and omitted the fact that he does not exist... or know that he's married to me LOL)

2 comments:

lonewolf said...

Fantastic exchanges. As for the hot tub one (grueling trip, by the way), there are so many great things that you can think of after the fact to reply with.

"No, my husband won't share bath water with me ever since that nasty fungus outbreak I had."

Or,

"Actually, yes, I'm married and my lesbian wife should be down to join us in a second."

Or,

"I am here for pleasure. I'm looking to pick up women and have found in the past that the hot tub was the place to be."

Or,

"I am here on business. I examine the operational efficiency of hot tub jets and am going to need you to step out for a moment."

Or,

"I was married. Today is the one year anniversary of his untimely demise. I'm still not over it. Thanks for bringing it up."

CHCgirl said...

Thanks for all those great suggestions. Ironically, I ran into THE SAME woman on the elevator the next day. What are the odds in a large high rise hotel?
The exchange was just as awkward (actually more so) but in your impaired health state I will omit a discussion of it and feel guilty about not sending you a postcard.