Thursday, March 8, 2007

Commute

I realize everyone has a different type of commute to work each day. Mine is somewhat unique in that it is an approximately 20 minute walk. Usually this is not overly exciting or noteworthy, but quite often I see something that will be exceedingly unusual. This is usually a product of either living in a city OR living in hyde park (which for those of you who haven't been has a definite population of odd individuals...) So this morning I was walking along and I come up to a well dressed woman walking toward me. She was seemingly conversing with someone. Since Chicago has banned driving with cell phones, seeing the earpiece/"handsfree" phone is not at all unusual. In fact, I think its kind of cool. Too expensive/impractical of a toy for me to get (I save my money for Cubs tickets and buying things for other people) but definitely cool. So it totally made sense for this woman that was clearly dressed for work to be on the phone. However, when I actually got up to her... she was still conversing, but DEFINITELY did not have a cell phone of any kind. So there is either some new sort of technology that makes them SUPER small/invisible or she was conversing with an invisible friend. Intriguing. About 6 blocks later I saw this same family I see most mornings. A guy that based on how he's dressed you would guess is some sort of delinquent... BAGGY sweatpants/jeans, big gold chain, leather coat, etc. wearing on his chest a baby-carrier-sack thing containing a small boy and holding hands with another boy probably 5. It's the just wierdest thing. And he's there walking toward the school about 8:45 every morning.
I know you people with car commutes think you see interesting and new things, but walking has its perks too--as you really never know what you'll see.

No comments: