So today is the final day of Chicago's attempt convince the USOC to select us as the US nominee for the Summer Games of 2016 to go against international cities such as Rio, Tokyo, etc. Now, I've actually thought about this alot. Would the Summer Olympics be a good thing for Chicago? I should start off by saying that since it's a competition, and I love to WIN competitions, I do hope Chicago gets selected. But the trade-off is Chicago would be immensely crowded and become a target for terrorists, both international and home-grown. The new opening ceremony stadium would be built in Washington park which is pretty much right next to the buildings I work in. So that's cool. Although by 2016, I will, in theory, by done with my PhD. And in reality, it will be unlikely that I'm even living in Chicago. But that's really depressing so I won't think about that! Who knows what opportunities will come. Chicago is such a great city that it would be cool to have the Olympics here; the Olympic Park that remains in Atlanta was one of the favorite places Miriam and I visited on our great Road Trip Adventure of last year's Spring Break. And anything Atlanta does, I'm very confident Chicago can do better!
During this whole "impress the Olympic Committee" the best part is the Chicago skyline which I love staring at night (and during the day) has been Olympic-themed. During the Bears Super Bowl craziness the buildings were lit in "Go Bears" theme. During the holidays there is some red and green themes. I have to say, while the view is always spectacular, I do love the themes. And the buildings now say "2016 Olympics" I will be sad to see it go.
Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment