As opening day draws closer, I feel obligated to share to what lengths I went to acquire tickets to my beloved Wrigley Field.
Let's start with a few facts: I was not working alone, although for critical parts, I had not recruit the correct number of people. I absolutely despise ticket brokers. Despite the fact that I could have gotten more tickets (and scalped them online or at the game) I chose not to and believe that people that suck up all the tickets should be sentenced to 20 years a Tampa Bay fan. The final fact, I am as hardcore as they come, but this year was my first one living in/being in Chicago when tickets went on sale. Oops, one last fact, I do not have the money to throw away on Cub tickets that I have in past years. I have my salary yes, but also a new condo and living in a pretty expensive (but great) city.
Lets begin in the weeks leading up to the tickets going available at Wrigley Field. Every year I have employed a small army of people to help try to get through the virtual waiting room of hell to get tickets. For any one who has experienced it, you know how utterly frustrating and awful it is. I spend HOURS watching the damn window refresh itself every 30 seconds. Waiting to see that you've been selected to buy tickets and with each refresh hoping that the game you want does not show up as being already sold out. An entire day is wasted because it's difficult to find time to use the bathroom let alone do anything else that takes you away from the computer. I'm sure there are lucky people out there that gets through quickly but I certainly am not one of those people. So this process starts at 10 am the last Friday in February. Tickets go on sale at Wrigley Field at 8 am. Unfortunately, they do not allow people to camp out for tickets. I guess because the neighborhood would be crippled by the legions of Cub fans with lousy luck (which face it, is most cubs fans) and frustrated with the Virtual Waiting Room of Hell who would probably sleep out there for days. I know I would. Instead, they institute a wristband system where hardcore-ness/be willing to sleep outside in Chicago in February is not rewarded. For two days before they go on sale you get a randomly numbered wristband (after showing at least 2 forms of ID) and then you and that wristband number are set for the Big Day. No transfers of wristbands. In fact, the security of the wristband identity is more severe than some airport security... So I dutifully go and get my wristband. I had conferred with friends and figured out what games we wanted (with the fiscal constraints we decided to go with quality over quantity) so I was ready to go.
At 6 am (an ungodly early hour for a grad student) Friday, they hold the drawing. They reveal of the numbers 1-20,000, they gave out approximately 12,000 wristbands. The winning number is approximately 6,971 (or something close to that). After that, they follow the numbers up. My number was 14,991. So, I was about 8,000 off. But notice, 8,000 wristbands weren't given out! Who knows where the distribution of that 8,000 was. I was in the first "half". I thought this was a pretty good draw (MISTAKE NUMBER ONE) They say if you are within 1,000 of the number drawn you should get to Wrigley by 7 am for the 8 am starting time. I figured since I was awake and dressed I might as well head to Wrigely and see what info I could find out. I didn't wear my super warm coat because it had been warm that week and brough my laptop so I could work on my paper due Monday while I waited (MAJOR MISTAKES TWO AND THREE) I get to Wrigely around 6:45 and try to figure out what is going on. All I keep finding are fellow people who do not know what is going on and this is their first year doing it as well. I had brought my breakfast but quickly realized I would not be able to eat it because it was FREEZING AND WINDY and I was not going to take my gloves off for any reason. I could go on commenting on the wierd/unusual/outrageous people and behavior I saw but I will stay focused on the tickets quest. I stood outside until 8:45. The line had not moved. I had found no one that knew any more than I did. And I was shivering I was so cold. A concerned guy (with wristband # 8842) whom himself was not close at all to getting tickets recommended I go into McDonalds to warm up because I looked really cold. About 5 minutes later, when I checked my cell phone (which was in my pocket) because I thought it was vibrating with a call, but only was vibrating because I was shivering so much, I decided to head into McDonalds. I clearly wasn't going to lose any advantage. (By the way, the weight of laptop on my shoulder.... felt like a ton of bricks) At the McDonalds across from Wrigley it was like a different world! Still FULL of Cub fans, but THIS is where everyone who knew what they were doing was! After I gulped down some hot pancakes (which burned my fingers touching them bc I was SO cold), I surveyed the situation. I saw a "command" table of sorts with 4 cute older ladies all wearing homemade Cubs scarves, hats, etc that clearly have been doing this for years and had a finely tuned system. They were dispensing advice and exchanging stories of different people they ran into who were newbies. While I'm not all about approaching strangers, I gathered my courage, and went to talk to them. When they heard my number, they said, Oh sweetie, go home. They will not get your number all day today. Apparently only about within 6,000 of the drawn number will get to the ticket office before it closes at 6pm. Only within 2,000 will get decent seats. They were sincere and convinced me. My hopes for the season now hinged on that damn virtual waiting room! As I ran back to the L, I called everyone I could to get them into the virtual waiting room (by this time it was after 10am) I returned to the condo, still frozen in the extremities, only to turn my computer and laptop into the VWR... I couldn't even take a hot shower to warm up or a nap (because I had about 4 hours of sleep). My friend ends up getting through the Virtual Waiting Room TWICE (before I ever do once) and was able to get two of the games we wanted. The last game we wanted was Cubs Sox and that is now the subject of the second part of this quest.
So lessons Learned:
1. Since the numbers are randomly assigned, get about 10 people to go together, everyone will get a spread out number, then the person that is close to the one drawn goes and gets the tickets.
2. If your number is more than 2,000 away, do not leave your warm condo and resign yourself to the Virtual Waiting Room.
3. If you DO have a selected number, there is no point to arriving early. With the right number, you just walk right in. Even if you have the first number selected, just arrive at 8am and walk in front of the idiots that are standing out in th cold.
4. Under no circumstances do anything stupid like carrying a heavy laptop. My shoulder and neck took about 5 days to get to a pain free situation.
5. Dress Warmly. Even if you think it's going to be 50 degrees. You can always take the coat off.
6. Being a Cubs fan sucks more than outsiders could ever imagine.
Part two will be another post. I hope the humor was able to come through. I try so hard...
Friday, March 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow.
Post a Comment