Monday, April 30, 2007

Where to begin?

There are SO many things I could post about today. I could write a lengthy and uncharacteristically insightful post on this http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070430braunapr30,1,3221575.story?coll=chi-news-hed since it is both current and local, but there has been alot written and said already http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2007/04/shout_out_to_br.html (even includes a video). I will just say that I live on the 1700 block of East 56th St and walk a mile down it so WALK PAST this location every day (actually twice a day...) So 1) it's cool to know someone famous lives that close to me and 2) it makes UC students look tough and badass and that of course is important to me.
And then on my aforementioned walk home, today, I'm truly not making this up, I developed a massive blister. And get this... A BLOODY SOCK. And shoe (they WERE white tennis shoes). I'm not making this up. Doug Mirabelli be damned, there's no paint here. I've never seen such a bloody sock before... or stained shoe. The good news is, I have to buy new shoes. The bad news is my foot hurts alot and walking will be miserable tomorrow. So this could have been an entire post as well (I thought about including pictures...)
But I decided to address a different, though still peripherally related to baseball, topic. As a Cub fan, I was obviously saddened by the death of the Cardinals reliever (and postponed game). As with most tragedies, I found myself looking for as many articles as possible to get as much info as I can. What was he really like? Were there warning signs? etc. I think there's some sort of normal, albeit morbid, curiousity for details when tragedy strikes. At least I like to think it's normal. Anyway, what I found extremely striking was in the many interviews with former and current teammates (arguably speaking to the media because they felt close to him or had some insight to share) there is contradiction. In some he's described as "quiet", "kept to himself", "good teammate" but in others he's portrayed as "out-going" "very friendly" "good teammate". So what we see here is he's a good teammate. But the rest are oddly different. A person is either quiet or outgoing... one would think. So this forced me to think. If I was a famous person who died tragically and young, what would people say... I could see the same contradiction coming forth. Depending on who you talked to you, you would definitely have people who would say the "quiet" route. But there would also be those that would go with the "outgoing" (and perhaps "crazy") route. But that line I think is very clearly defined by those who know me and those who do not. Basically if you don't know the one thing that makes me smile regardless of what kind of day I'm having, then you don't me. Then you shouldn't be talking to the media. So which group of people shouldn't be talking to the media I wonder? And why are there? Surely, if you didn't know him well you could just simply express condolences for the family. What's the motivation I wonder? I'm actually intrigued by it. I don't know if it struck anyone else as odd when reading the descriptions of him.

On a less curent-events related note, one midterm done, one to go. One major presentation breathing down my neck. However, I'm doing alright. Despite my bloody foot. I'll try to keep posting more interesting things on here more regularly. Because as I read others' writing I'm struck by how much I enjoy it and while I doubt mine is as enjoyable, I'll try.

No comments: