Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Day of firsts

Today for the first time, I wore a true bikini. You might be thinking wow, that doesn't sound all that impressive, but believe me, it was quite the first. Also, I wore said bikini on the roof with the express purpose of getting some sun. I have never "laid out" ever before. To me it seemed just dumb. However, as I've gotten older... or at least in the last two summers, I've really come to appreciate having some color in my skin. And for a multitude of reasons, I want to look good in May. And since it was was 80ish and sunny, I decided to try it today. Unfortunately, my building hasn't gotten out the lawn furniture that is normally on the roof. However, this did not dissuade me, I just laid on the ground. The fact that it was windy as well did not stop me. I only laid out for about 15 minutes on each side. And the whole time I was struck by how many other things I could have been doing. Occasionally I would hear birds flying around and I thought what if I got bird pooped on. It was definitely a telling day that I don't really have that shallow mindset regardless of how much I might try/pretend. Laying out is just plain boring. You could be reading, working, IMing, writing, ANYTHING else. That said, I did get some sun. I hope it will look good if I continue to get bursts like this.
Then (for the first time) I walked downtown. From my condo. Over 60 city blocks. I live on 56th St. I walked to Lake and Randolph. We'll see how sore I might be tomorrow. I got more sun doing that. Luckily I put SOME sunscreen for that. Not enough however. One arm got fried. Hopefully the two arms will even out. Right now, I look like a girl who loves summer. Not that I don't, but I think the look is great. :-) If this continues, I will look damn good come summer.

Exciting no?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll ignore this anonymous comment, but it must be made.

http://www.skincancerguide.ca/prevention/sun_protection.html

"Remember: a suntan is your skin’s way of showing damage to sun exposure. The deeper the tan, the more your skin is fighting to protect itself from sun damage. Keep this in mind the next time you admire someone’s tan."

CHCgirl said...

Thanks. Good thing I'm a fighter.