Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gorgeous babe

I think it's human nature. People can not help but add "hon" or "babe" when they talk to me. Probably because I smile alot and look like I'm about 10. Just to clear it up, "hon" tends to come from older women, while "babe" has come from males in the middle-aged to younger adult age. But I get it aton. Talk to the cable guy "Ok, you're all set babe" (and really it wasn't that creepy even though I think if someone else had told me this story I would be creeped out). On the phone with the salon setting up a hair cut appointment, "Ok, hon we're all set" These two events occurred within an hour of each other. I guess its just a complement or something. Honestly, I think it's funny... I know some people would probably be offended, but as far as things go, i'm not offended. However, it is possible to offend me. Or at least not offend me, but creep me out. So yesterday morning (before the aforementioned incidents) I was walking to campus. It was supposed to 60 yesterday so I just went with the T-shirt, sweatshirt option, straight out of the shower. So, my hair is wet and tied back and I've got the whole jeans and a sweatshirt look going on. Since it's just day to day stuff I was wearing no makeup (not a suprise really) and was feeling alittle less polished than usual (I mean usually I devote like 15 seconds to looking good and this morning I had completely skipped even that) Nonetheless, the sun was shining and I was smiling. About 1/2 way to campus, an older man was gardening (kneeling on one of those weird gardening kneeling walker-looking things) As I approached I smiled and said good morning. I was wearing my mp3 headphones and walking quickly so I really wasn't looking to talk. The man smiles and says good morning. It sure is a gorgeous day. Gorgeous like you. (as much as a man can leer, kneeling on a walker-kneeler thing) GORGEOUS LIKE YOU. It was creepy. Creepy. Creepy. Only one person has ever used the word gorgeous to describe me and well I'm not sure anyone believes anything that comes out of his mouth. And the leering. It was creepy/ridiculous.
Not alot of insight here, just some an entertaining glimpse into my world.

No comments: