There is nothing that compares to the hopefulness of opening day.
Even if, deep down, like me, you suspect your team is missing one or two critical pieces to be champions or even playoff contenders come September and October. It's nearly impossible to not fall into the allure and excitement of opening day.
Unfortunately, for the first time in as long as I can rememer, I was unable to watch any part of the game. Nothing. I was forced to "watch" via the stupid updates of gamechannel or gamecast... whatever. A very poor alternative. Similiarly, since I can see the Cell out my window I was eager to see how/if fireworks are visible during the day. Also, didn't get to see that either. Damn, school, lab, and working full time.
However, for my own sanity, it's probably best I didn't watch. 2 home runs by Dunn and while I didn't SEE it, it appeared as though my beloved Big Z was extremely wild. 5 innings... this man is supposed to be the horse of the staff. In general he never leaves that early w/o a major fight which I do not know if he put up or not. I knew all my suspicions about Lou Piniella were confirmed when in the first inning, after D. Lee is on first, I thought to myself, here we go, we're gonna get some offense going, Aramis is up and here we go. 5 seconds later, the screen is to the half inning break and I was left trying to figure out what happened. Lee was out stealing. Now, Lee is fast, but with your 4 hitter coming up, why the fuck are you stealing? I guess it could have been a hit and run that Aramis either missed or missed the ball (like I said, you miss alot with Gamechannel). But in my mind this confirms Lou's dumbness as the manager. With Aramis up, whether Lee is on first or second isn't a HUGE difference, especially in the first inning when you are trying to build momentum. I will not discuss the wildness of Z because it is just extremely disappointing. Especially as a way to declare his candidacy for the Cy Young. At this point, I would say he would rank somewhere in the Bill Richardson/Sam Brownback caliber of candidates. UGH UGH UGH.
The only possible positive with game channel (I am a quirky pessimistic optimist remember) is that is it much easier to "watch" all the other games as well. So I was able to "witness" the dismantling that was happening to the Sox a few blocks away at the hand of another Ohio team. All I can say is I hope Contreas pitches for the Sox on May 20. But as someone who was enduring the extreme pain/crash that goes with an opening day disappointment, I felt a twinge of sympathy for the Sox fans that I knew were in as much pain as I was (possibly more as Z did not give up 11 runs.... and lasted more than 2 innings) But it was just a twinge... I think an involuntary reflex that was a largely product of my overall niceness lol
I speculated that perhaps it was simply a day for Ohio Sports domination, but Ohio State certainly is not dominating. This merely must be a testament to Florida not being in CHICAGO because damn does the entire state of Ohio seem to have Chicago's number. Come Wednesday though I'm hopeful for a turnaround.
Monday, April 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Having witnessed live the Derek Lee caught stealing play in the first inning, I shall relate that the ESPN2 broadcaster stated, "It didn't matter that Lee was caught stealing. Lou was sending a message that things are going to be different. Everyone in Chicago should know that it's a new ballclub now."
Take from that what you will.
"I felt a twinge of sympathy for the Sox fans"
Clearly you are an awful person. That is, of course, you feel a similar sympathy for each and every one of Cleveland's victims this season.
thanks for the confirmation that I'm an awful person. I wish I was more heartless.
Post a Comment