Monday, April 23, 2007

Longevity

I've been thinking about this a fair amount... So I want to pose it to the blog community.
The practical reality of life is as you go down your own path you tend to lose track of people that may have been important parts of your life previously. This is especially true in the after college period, but I think it's a trend throughout life. Two people must have a real friendship/relationship to continue it when day to day contact no longer becomes easy/routine. I'm ashamed to say that one person from college whom I saw every day and had several wonderful traditions and memories with, I've exchanged two emails with since we graduated. That's it. And as life gets busier that trend is extermely unlikely to reverse. But there are others where you stay in contact and you know that there really is some connection there. And these friends I would drop anything for any day of the week.
Which makes me think the longer something lasts, the less easy it is to maintain, suggests that there just really must be something there. I mean, there are only 24 hours a day, at least 10 are spent working and ideally at least 8 are spent sleeping lol. There's not a lot of time there for other things. And when someone isn't at work or at home you just don't have to see them. So when you make the effort it means alot. And when they make the effort you know its really something because they don't need to.
For example, tonight I got a text detailing some of the dumbness going on at Senate. How great is that? It makes me smile. Because there's clearly something there. A year after graduation, we still do that.

2 comments:

lonewolf said...

"For example, tonight I got a text detailing some of the dumbness going on at Senate."

Hold the phone! Seriously? Something dumb? Never.

CHCgirl said...

oh you will love it drew. I'm waiting to get an email summary but when i do if it's as good as i'm acticipating I'll forward it on to you :-)