Thursday, July 19, 2007

Animal...

So unless you live under a sports rock, you've probably followed, at least passively, the "investigation" of dog fighting on a 'compound' owned by Michael Vick. I have to confess as its carried on, I've kind of just shrugged. For one thing, as irrational as it is, I've always considered Michael Vick one of my favorite quarterbacks. Why? I don't know... I've liked him since his days at Virginia Tech and even more so with the Falcons. And dog fighting is something thats so far removed from anything I have any frame of reference on... So when the charges came down this week I was disappointed and confused. Endorsements being pulled, talks of suspensions, animal rights protests, etc. Largely my reaction was with all the problems in the world, is this really news? Even in the realm of poorly behaving football players, is this really news? Or at least AS BIG OF news as it is being made?
This was my reaction to the news and still is largely.
But let me add some additional perspective. I've never had a dog. I wasn't really raised around dogs. That's not to say I'm unsympathetic or don't think some are really cute, it's just a fact that I just haven't had that background. I've noticed that city dogs are just freakishly well behaved and they don't bark/run at/sniff strangers. I've often said if i ever got a dog, I'd want a city dog and have even wondered to others if there are special breeding programs to select for specific traits (I know my HG training is coming through LOL) Today walking to school I saw this guy "disciplining" his dog-- it looked like a golden retriever. It was awful to watch. I wanted to report him for cruelty. It's actually still bothering me now. I'm trying to reconcile this with my take on dogfighting but I'm still bothered by it.
The major lesson: don't own a "compound"

No comments: