Saturday, June 9, 2007

Written Off.. or not

So I think it is safe to say based on how abyssmal the Cubs were playing through the beginning of the season, I was pretty close to just writing them off. As most fans understand, teams just give you feelings. I always ALWAYS try to find reasons to hope with the Cubs. Think of plausible (of varying degrees) that would create the opportunities for the Cubs to make the playoffs and then hope the through sheer willpower I could get them through series. I always do this... well into August. Because there is an irrational part of me that just always hopes for the best despite reason.
That said, this year's Cub team has NEVER given me that irrational hope feeling. I think that's because I'm still angry about the choice of Lou for manager. In any event, the recent surge of the Cubs has taken me aback. This team has shown tantalizingly good pitching. The bats seem to be coming alive. D.Lee is actually not hitting well and yet the offense is not sufferring. Obviously this injury with Aramis could be serious, but so far, the run production has not sufferred. I'll admit it, I'm surprised. And a tiny part of me is starting to get excited. I've got tickets to Monday's game. I'm putting this out there: If this surge is for real and indicative of a good stretch of baseball to come, they will overcome the Amy curse and win on Monday. Not only have I yet to see the win this year, but really I have yet to even see them play decently. This isn't intrinsically unusual because my luck is usually pretty bad, but if I see a resounding victory... I might start getting excited.

No comments: