Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Half a Block

I'll be the first person to admit I have been one to run for the bus. You don't want to miss it. With public transportation, you never really know when the next one will come. I've done it in heels... in a mini-skirt..... holding groceries.... etc. I've ran up to 2 blocks down state street (over the river) in a skirt and flip-flops with two bags of groceries and a briefcase. So in full disclosure, I understand the running for the bus.
Today on the bus to work, I see a girl running. She's got a backpack and is holding several additional books. Now she's running about a good block from the stop. Because the streets are so narrow and congested in Hyde Park we got stopped twice before the block was up which gave her a fighting chance. Now, I already thought it was odd since we were ON campus so it's not quite like me running to catch the 6 downtown where you have no alternative beside the bus. From where this girl was, it really wasn't unreasonable to walk anywhere on campus. Would it suck, sure. But it was 50 at this point. It would have been ok, Anyway she makes it, barely. She gets on the bus. The next stop is the hospital/main campus... It's seriously like a block, not even a long block from where this girl got on (about 2 blocks from where she started running when she the bus) SHE GETS OFF. She ran a block to ride the bus a block. How wierd is that? I don't get it. I just don't. Why would you do that? Then again, I'm surrounded by alot of people like that at UofC.

No comments: