Sunday, January 27, 2008

City Living

This is something I think about alot-- so I decided to try to summarize some coherent thoughts into a blog post. Living in the city, I am confronted daily by people who are alot less fortunate than me. Granted, I'm not rolling in money or going out every night, but still, the poverty and need around you in city is depressing. It truly is. The only way to survive it, really is to ignore it. Realistically, a percentage of the people who ask for money are probably going to use it for something other than basic needs, but that doesn't really decrease their need. Then there are those that are begging who have physical disabilities that make me want to cry and are living on the street. Did they make bad choices to end up there, possibly. But no bad choice should result in how they live. I really do normally just try not to think about it, even though it hurts my heart to walk by them. But last night on my way to meet friends at restaurant there was an older guy holding a worn briefcase and a bag asking people as they walked on a corner for a quarter. It was tremendously sad. After crossing the street I watched more people just ignore him and then him badly limp a little. And I almost cried. I got my wallet out and got out a quarter, crossed the street back, and gave him the quarter. And he said thank you I'm going to go get some coffee. I have no idea where a quarter gets you a coffee. All I know is he was sad. Reasonably well dressed, could barely walk, and asking for a quarter. It's the first time I've given anyone money since I lived in the city. I then went to get on the L and there was a woman walking along the platform asking for money holding a sign saying she had been tortured. I looked away quickly because I didn't want the details. I was already teary... and torture is something that really bothers me period so I didn't want to think about that either. It's just so sad that we live in that kind of world. I guess I need to be tough. But it really makes me sad and I don't even know the right way to try to help.

No comments: