Largely I pretend baseball ended a couple of weeks ago. However, on the eve of the World Series starting, I'm inevitably wondering, who am I rooting for. Others also inquire. However, I find neither choice particulary palatable. Let's start off by saying I'm a National League girl through and through. I follow it more closely, I know the teams better, and personally think that a pitcher should also have to hit the ball, just like all the other players. Also, I hate HATE the traditional "expert" opinions that the NL is always so much worse than the AL. Maybe it's true, but it irks me to no end (and I'm not conceding its true either). So almost always I pull for the NL. BUT, with the Cubs making the postseason this year, I feel angry toward the remaining NL teams (even though the Rockies didn't eliminate them...) I also think this stretch of 21 wins in 22 games is a bit ridiculous. I don't like the publicity the team is getting. The word ROCKTOBER, or ROCTOBER (however it's spelled) makes me want to vomit. I think if you asked most people for the best team in the National league at pretty much any point during the year, you'd be hard pressed to hear them say "the Rockies" They were more than 5 games out of the Wild Card, pretty late in September (too tired to look it up). Yes, they've been on a great run. Do they to be World champions? I'm inclined to say no. Plus I don't really want their freakish end of September-October streak to make all kinds of postseason history.
So that leaves me with the BoSox. For all of the previous mentioned reasons, I have trouble getting excited about an AL team. Yes, I've been to Fenway and realize how "special" it is. Yes, I kind of pulled for them back in 2004. But this team kind of makes me yawn. Not that it's boring, but it just lacks a compelling way in for a fan that is not a member of the "Nation" (which to be honest creeps me out alittle). Plus the "Nation" thinks it has something on the Cub nation. As far as fan-dom goes, it doesn't. A more recent World Series victory, sure, but fanatic fans or ambiance, no. Plus they have so many "miraculous" come from behind wins it makes me alittle nauetious. So who's left? Nothing. I hope it's a very boring series, that drags on, with no one caring...
Baseball ended for me Oct. 6.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Post a Comment